Parliamentary question by Gianfranco Dell'Alba (TDI) to the Council and answer
WRITTEN QUESTION P-2249/01
by Gianfranco Dell'Alba (TDI) to the Council
(20 July 2001)
On 2 June 2001, Europol's offices were searched and one of its officers was questioned by the Dutch police at some length on suspicion of fraud.
In view of the status of Europol - which polices other police forces - neither the Commission nor Parliament can consider instituting an inquiry.
As a branch of the budgetary authority, it is not acceptable that Parliament should be unable to ascertain the full facts about a case which tarnishes the image of the whole European Union and its institutions, and that it should have to make do with gleaning information from the press.
Does not the Council agree that this anomaly ought to be corrected and that the Court of Auditors and the European Parliament, in their respective roles, ought to be assigned powers of supervision over such bodies as Europol?
Has the Council instituted inquiries to ascertain whether fraud has been committed against the Community budget?
(27 November 2001)
1. The Honourable Member of the European Parliament is informed that Europol presently is financed by the Member States and thus not financed from the Community budget. Therefore direct fraud against the Community budget is excluded. In as far as it has been alleged that fraud was committed in the framework of Community programmes, it is the task of the Commission bodies (for instance OLAF) to further investigate the issue.
2. The system of Member State financing is laid down in the Europol Convention. Any amendment of this system would require the Convention to be amended which in turn requires a ratification procedure in all Member States.
3. The Europol Convention lays down a thorough system of financial controls, which include an independent financial controller and a joint audit committee, composed of members of the Court of Auditors. So although the Court of Auditors is not directly competent to supervise Europol, Europol has in place effective financial controls.
4. It should be noted that the alleged irregularities referred to in the question of the Honourable Member of the European Parliament have been discovered by the financial controller. On the basis of his report the Europol Management Board set up a committee which has further investigated the issue. The financial controls in the Europol framework have therefore proved to be effective.
5. The Members of the Council are informed, through their national representatives in the Management Board of Europol of the findings of this committee.
6. Given that Europol - on the basis of the information that came to light - informed the competent Dutch public prosecutor of the alleged irregularities and that the public prosecutor thereupon has started criminal investigations against one official of the Staff of Europol, the Council considers it inappropriate to take any action which might interfere with these investigations.
Members and contributors 2013
|Giuseppe R. Roma||590 €|
|Salvatore P. Capistrello||200 €|
|Giancarlo B. Torino||30 €|
|Marco B. Merano||20 €|
|Davide B. Prato||50 €|
|Giuseppe P. Grottammare||50 €|
|Maurizio T. Roma||1.000 €|
|Rosa A. Firenze||590 €|
|Giuliano G. Sondrio||590 €|
|Sergio Pasquale R. Cremona||500 €|
|Total SUM||326.746 €|
Online Donations 2013
LEGALITYPress Conference "Is Peace for the Caucasus an option?"
LEGALITYBONINO ON THE REFERENDUM IN IRELAND: EUROPE RESTRAINED WITHOUT A CLEAR POLITICAL VISION
LEGALITYRoma situation: MEPs call on Italy for answers and respect for the Free Movement Directive
LEGALITYHUMAN RIGHTS, CAPPATO: "NEGATIVE CHOICE OF THE EUROPEAN SOCIALISTS AGAINST NON-VIOLENCE. I ASK THEM TO RETHINK ABOUT IT BEFORE THURSDAY VOTE"
Dello stesso autore
05/26/2000 LEGALITY Parliamentary question by Gianfranco Dell'Alba (TDI) to the Commission and answer given by Mr Kinnock on behalf of the Commission
01/29/2003 Cambodia Parliamentary question by Gianfranco Dell'Alba (NI) to the Commission and answer given by Mr Patten on behalf of the Commission
04/03/1997 Antiprohibition Parliamentary question by Gianfranco Dell'Alba (ARE) to the Commission answer given by Mr Marín on behalf of the Commission
06/28/2000 LEGALITY Parliamentary question by Gianfranco Dell'Alba (TDI) to the Commission and answer given by Ms Schreyer on behalf of the Commission
- 1 of 10
The Wall Street Journal
Marcus Walker in Berlin, Paul Hannon and Andrew Peaple in LondonEUROPE IS SPLIT ON CALL TO CURB FOREIGN FUNDS
The Los Angeles Times
Jeffrey FleishmanEUROPEAN UNION GRAPPLES WITH ITS IDENTITY AT 50
The Financial Times
Emma Bonino *WTO PROVIDES FOR INSTRUMENTS TO DEFEND TRADE
The Financial Times
Tony BarberITALY IN PLEA TO EU TO CONTINUE LEVIES ON ASIAN SHOES
06/26/2008 Civil Rights QUESTIONS (EP) EP, Write question, Detention-without-charge in the UK
10/01/2007 Chechnya QUESTIONS (EP) OSCE's Exclusion of Nongovernmental Organizations, a Violation of the Helsinki Principles
07/01/2005 QUESTIONS (EP) Vietnam Human rights violations against the Montagnard people of the Vietnam Highlands
03/22/2005 LEGALITY U.N./DOCUMENTS JOINT NGO STATEMENT FOR LEBANESE FREEDOM AND END TO SYRIAN OCCUPATION. Delivered by Ambassador Alfred H. Moses, Chairman of UN Watch